Sunday, July 11, 2010

Crossing Paths

Every year, people come into my life. It's not something that happens just in January, where it's POOF, all of a sudden there is all these new people in your life. It's something that happens gradually. Some of these people go, and some of them decide to stay. Some of them are literally just passing through. I've really been pondering the people who have been put in my life this year. It's not a bad pondering, but pondering nonetheless.

One person has been in my life for awhile, but we were never close friends. But through a horrible tragedy, we've become closer friends. It may seem strange, but the tragedy was a blessing in disguise because God was knitting the bonds of friendship, I think much needed for both of us. Another person came into my life through borrowing one of my college textbooks. We have a lot in common and I so enjoy our times together. Both of these new friendships mean a lot to me and both bring so much to the table of life.

Do you ever stop to think why God brings you and other people together? What is his plan for it all? Do you ever look back at the starting of a friendship and think, "Wow, I'm so glad that person stuck around"? I've been doing that a lot lately. I'm thankful for those people and that I took the time, invested in them personally, to find out who they really are and let them find out who I really am.

Opening up to people has been a new concept for me this year. I have very few close friends in my world. These people know everything about me. But, for so long, I would shut everyone out. They never really got to know the real Brandy. I honestly just didn't feel like it was your business to know the inner most workings of this heart of mine. It was making me miserable in the process. But this year, after a depression bout in February, I vowed I would start letting people in my life again and understand that not everyone will ruin my trust. And so, that's what I've been doing, intentionally putting my heart on my sleeve and branching off to new friendships/relationships. It hasn't been as difficult as I thought it would be. I am learning to love people where they are in their life currently and letting them love me as well. My life has become more enriched, more joyful, more purposeful, & more loving.

The two people mentioned aren't the only people that has come into my life this year, but they are the ones who stick out the most. I'm greatly blessed by each of them.


"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, What! You too? I thought I was the only one!" ~C.S. Lewis

No comments: