Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The value of life

I found out yesterday afternoon that my friend, Erica, was killed in a car accident on Friday. I knew her before we went to Chile, but I got to know her so much more when we went on our mission trip. Everything feels so surreal, like she’s still here. Sunday while I was sitting in church, her and her mom had popped in my head. I was thinking about them and how I hadn’t seen them in awhile. Erica and her mother were both involved in the accident. Her mother is recovering in a rehab place. I saw her yesterday. I was so thankful Sheri was there the same time I was. I had no clue as to what I was going to say to Erica’s mother. Erica’s mom is in good spirits. Her and Erica were really close. She stated she felt a little at peace because she knew Erica wasn’t afraid to die and she is now in heaven with Jesus. The grieving process will not be easy, it never is. My gram has been gone almost 7 years, there isn’t a day where I don’t think about her. And to this day, all I need is a little reminder of her (I hear her name, someone is wearing her perfume), to start crying. With her, the parents are never prepared to bury their children, it should be the other way around. She said she should of died in that accident, but God still wanted her here for some reason. She said she thought Erica died instantly, which is good. I really wouldn’t of wanted her to suffer. I can’t stop thinking about her. The conversations we shared, our precious time in Chile, her little purse that had everything but the kitchen sink in it and how I always poked fun at it, her laugh. She was only in her 30’s, mid 30’s I think. She is the focus of my thoughts and prayers today.


Erica is a prime example how quickly someone’s life can end and to live life to the fullest. Some people really don’t value life and don’t realize that in one quick moment, it could be all over. She loved God with her entire heart, she loved her family, friends. Her life was blessed and she became a blessing to everyone who encountered her. She worked at Cox Communications and when they found out she had been killed, they closed the entire office for the day so her coworkers could grieve her loss. I’m reminded of a Stellar Kart song, the chorus goes, “Life is good, eternal life is better…” So, Erica, I know you’re with Jesus now. And I know you are probably asking Him all kinds of questions. I know you’re worried about your mom. Don’t worry, your family and friends will take care of her as much as we can.


Quote of the day: When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, “I used everything you gave me.” ~Erma Bombeck


No comments: