Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Whoa, hold onto your hats folks...

This is an actual update! I remember the days of blogging where I used to blog every other day. Sometimes it was thoughtful posts, sometimes it was an update as to what is happening in my life, and sometimes it was just a post of pictures I had taken. But somewhere along the way, I lost the want to blog. I have recently been wanting to blog again. I remembered last week that Heather and I agreed that when I pass, this blog as well as my private one are going to be put together into a memoir of sorts. So, I should keep up on the blogs. Even if it's an update like this one. Beware folks, it will probably be long. :)

It's very early (5 a.m.). I was just laying in bed and decided to actually get up and blog. Okay, here's the update in my favorite form of posting, bullet points.

  • School has officially started and I have to admit, I started studying for my Anatomy & Physiology class a few days before school even started. I know, I am a total NERD. However, this is my 2nd time taking this class. I need to buckle down and ensure I actually pass it this time. I feel refreshed and ready to get back into the swing of things. I feel more confident about this class, maybe it's because I have taken it before? This is the first time my professor has taught BIO201 and the second he said that, I started stressing. And although every teacher needs to have a chance teaching their first class and he seems to know his stuff, he cusses like an absolute sailor. Which I am struggling with. I will tough it out and keep this class, I'm not dropping it. However, it's very unprofessional and downright disturbing that this man can't hold a conversation without cussing. I am also taking Nutrition, that doesn't start till next week.
  • I always say that I will be 90 when I finally get a degree in nursing. But I sat down last week and looked at my classes that I still need to take. And if I am reading this correctly, I only have 2 classes left to take before I can apply for the nursing program. The other two classes I have can be taken while I am on the wait list. I got a renewed sense of energy when I saw that. I might see a light of taking pre-requisites classes in my vision. I am going to run to school tomorrow and talk to a counselor just to ensure I am understanding that correctly.
  • Speaking of being a nurse. I would love to work at a hospital, even I don't have a nursing degree yet, working in a hospital would be something that I would love. And if I work at a hospital, they generally have a nursing program for their employees. From what I have heard from hospital employees, the nursing program wait list is usually shorter. I am not 100% sure, but the door to the medical field and getting into a hospital nursing program may be creaking open. Last week I received a phone call from a guy who used to work at my office. He called to ask me a question about something with AHCCCS, but said he had been thinking of me lately and wanted to see how I was doing. He asked me about school and remembered I was doing nursing. He proceeds to tell me that a few months ago, he was hired as the head over Admissions at Phoenix Baptist Hospital and they have a nursing program. And he also says very casually that if anyone applied for a position at the hospital, he has quite a bit of pull and could probably get them a job. Do you see where this is going? I am praying about it, thinking about having lunch with him to get questions answered. I did look at the site, they are hiring for a few things I am qualified for. But I am honestly scared about leaving my current job. We all know the economy is not good and I am very thankful I have a job. But, there is no room for advancement in my company and no raises. It's not about the money, but when the cost of living goes up every year, as well as our health insurance, it makes it difficult to live. I am afraid to leave and go to a new job where I will be the "low man on the totem pole" and I could be laid off. I am not one for change and I'm perfectly content where I am. But I also know that this could be the opportunity I need to help me advance in my education. If you think about it, could you please pray for me and this situation? I know God will provide the way, but I am scared to step out of my AHCCCS box.
  • So, most people know this, but I will officially put the word out there. I am officially retiring from pet-sitting. Okay, I don't suppose I am fully retiring, but I am only keeping a few of my clients that I have had forever. I will no longer be taking any new clients/jobs. I have been doing this for 7 years and I'm tired. I can't begin to explain the miles I have put on my car in the 2 years since I have had it just from pet-sitting alone. It's difficult because of my school schedule to ensure I tend to animals as well. Almost 2 months ago, my friend was attacked by a dog. She was bitten pretty bad and I actually had to take her to the emergency room. But a few weeks ago, I was bitten as well. It was a small bite and didn't leave a mark. But it could of been worse. And after seeing everything my friend went through with the attack and the healing process and then me being bitten, it was when I decided I was done with pet-sitting. My few clients that I do have usually only need me in the summers, so I will keep them because I have pet-sit for them for 2 years or more. I have made commitments this month that I scheduled before I made this decision. I will do these jobs and then be done with it until next summer when my regulars need me. I will eventually retire all together, because when I get out on my own, I want to get a dog of my own. Then the pet-sitter will need a pet-sitter for when I go out of town.

Okay, I could write more. But I shall depart you for now. I need coffee!

Quote of the day: "Our lives improve only when we take chances and the first and most difficult risk we can take is to be honest with ourselves." ~Walter Anderson

1 comment:

Leah said...

Wow-- awesome quote. And awesome news about the job lead!!! Our God is good. And He WILL catch you when you step out in faith, Brandy. Maybe He won't catch you in the way you expect... but He can be trusted, love.