Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Professional bunny rescuer...that's me!

Okay, so not even in a 24 hour time span, I have managed to kill one life and save another. I started a new pet-sitting job last night for two weeks. Last night about 10 p.m., I was walking towards the back door to let the dog out when a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE spider crawled under the door. Seriously, it was huge.



(Not actual spider)


Okay now, before I go any further let me explain how much I do NOT like spiders. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do not like them, but I have a really good reason. When I was little, I was bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider and I have a scar that is two inches long and two inches wide from that little bugger.


Anyways, about a week ago, my girl Nori, wrote a blog about a spider being in her room for a few days occupying the corner of her room. Now, Nori and this spider compromised for a time, however in this situation, there was NO TIME to cut a deal with the spider. This spider was crawling very, very fast and looked to be on a mission. I immediately started screaming like a pansy, little girl and began to ran around the house looking for some sort of spray to kill it. All the while, I am screaming at the dog to leave the spider alone. I must of screamed so bad at the dog, that she thought she was in trouble, she went and hid under the bed.


I take my weapon and proceed to kill the spider.


2008_07080001


My weapon of choice for the evening. Death by cleanliness is the only way to go.


After no less than half a can of Scrubbing Bubbles aimed directly at the spider, I'm quite sure it's dead. I wait for some of the foam to clear and out pops a spider leg. Once again, the screaming of a pansy little girl commenced and I proceed to spray some more. I run to get what would seem to be a roll of paper towels to scoop it up as well as a gallon size Ziploc bag. Why the Ziploc bag? I have always done that, when I kill bugs. I am afraid they aren't fully dead and they will crawl out of the garbage. Stupid I know, but I wanted to make sure the spider's fate was sealed. Red + blue = purple!


2008_07080003


Spider's new resting place. Poor, poor spider.


Time of death: 10:07 p.m., July 7th, 2008


Location of death: Julie's living room.


Cause of death: Cleaning product.


Okay, wait. That was last night. On to the title of my blog. I am staying at a house that only has a dog. This house in an old part of my city, more rural. people have farms where I am. I let the dog out, I decide to go with her because she likes to get into things. We both see it at the same time.



(Not actual bunny)


The dog flips out and starts chasing the bunny. I start chasing the dog, in the Arizona heat with a back yard full of cement, dirt, and rocks. My poor feet are literally burnt on the bottom. The dog is gaining speed and before you know it, I hear a splash. The bunny, in order to attempt to save itself, jumped into the pool. It's now swimming around the pool, while the dog is running around the outside of the pool and barking. As I get to the pool, the bunny actually starts to slip under the water and begins to drown. No seriously. I've got a drowning bunny on my hands and a crazy dog running around the pool. I literally get to the edge of the pool and crouch down and grab it. It was almost out of my reach. I scooped it up and it didn't even fight me. I dried it with my shirt as much as I could and as soon as it realized it was out of the pool, it began squirming in my arms. Hold up there, little thing. It's way safer in my arms then it is on the ground. I could feel his heart beating in my hand. I released him into the front yard, the owners said he just lives down the street. Seriously, when I think I couldn't possibly have any more adventures than the ones I have already had, something new happens. That is why I can now add "Professional Bunny Rescuer" to my pet-sitting experience.


2008_07080004


The scene of the accident.


2008_07080002


The instigator, aka Muffy. The bunny and the dog were about the same size.

No comments: