Thursday, July 31, 2008

Aftershocks

Happy Wednesday everyone! Despite the fact that there was an earthquake in LA yesterday, I'm still heading out there on Friday. My niece lives about 30 minutes outside of LA. As soon as I heard what happened, I called her. She answers the phone this way, "You must be watching the news, Aunt Brandy." No, actually got a breaking news text. She said they were okay, they definitely felt the earthquake. Her husband called to say that he was okay as well. He said if it would of been any worse, he probably would of been killed. He works in construction and was on a lift of some sort when it happened. I'm thankful everyone is okay and from reading the news, there doesn't appear to be any injuries. I hope there are no aftershocks. I did see on the news that this earthquake was a moderate one, but California has a 99% chance of having a major earthquake in the next 30 years. It could be tomorrow, it could be 30 years from now.


Do you ever find yourself wondering about the future, what your life is going to be like? I do that a lot, I constantly wonder about if I'll ever get married and have children, will I ever get to South America, will I ever finish school, am I going to live in AZ forever. These are things that go through my mind. I am constantly talking about moving somewhere in the states or another country. I know it's not for us to determine our future and we really shouldn't stress about it. The Bible says in Philippians 4:6-7, "Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life." That is the Message version....the version that spoke best to me.


I have a dear friend who reads my blogs, after reading my last blog, this is what she had to say about my future, "I remember when you told me that story (talking about where I felt I had disappointed God). God will use you in His way and I think you are on the path. OK, here is my opinion. Stop talking about leaving the country, stop talking about moving to California and no more about Central. I think you are being used here and now the way God is wanting to use you. If you just take a step back and look around, you are here for a reason. I personally don't want you to leave and I don't want to see you go anywhere. I am going to do anything to keep you here. But I think you are in the right place for now." *Sigh* as someone who does plan things out and does worry about the future, that is not exactly what I wanted to hear. But coming from her, my upfront friend....she's so right. I need to stop worrying about what is going to happen tomorrow and focus on what God is doing in my life today. And today....oh today, God is doing A-M-A-Z-I-N-G things in my life. I am blessed beyond comprehension with everyday occurances, humbled by His love and grace, and in constant awe of the beauty He creates in people. I just have to have faith in God and know and trust it's going to be okay as far as my future is concerned.


And I know it's going to be okay, He's gotten me through 31 years. And right now, I'm doing pretty fantastic considering August 5th is next week. I have good days, I have amazing days, I have days where I don't feel I can go on...but through every single one of them, God has been there, will be there. He has put a small, small handful of people in my life who have chosen to hold my hand through this journey, pick me up when I fall, laugh at me when I'm being goofy, hurt when my heart is hurting and for that I'm forever grateful and immensely blessed.


Have a fantastic day basking in His love.


Bran


Quote of the day: "I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future." ~Unknown

No comments: