Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Are you happy with your name?

Okay, so let's talk about my name. In case you didn't know it, my name is Brandy (waves hi). And the question is am I happy with the name my parents gave me. As of right now, being 31, yes I am happy with this name. It's becoming a common name, but hasn't always been. And the proper, cool spelling is B-R-A-N-D-Y, not Brande, or Brandi, and definitely not Brandee. Brandy the proper way to spell this name, at least in my opinion. I love when the people at Starbucks ask how to spell my name.


Brandy Brandy brandy


Now, even though I say I like my name now, it hasn't always been like that. I got made fun of in school by things like: "Wow, my DOG'S name is Brandy." and "Hmmm...I wonder what you taste like", "Can I have a drink of you?" Okay, forgive those last two, they are true, but probably not the best things to write. But I did hear them, among other things. So, let's ask this question: "Now, Brandy, how did you get your name? Oh, I know...You're named after that song, right?" C'mon, you know the song, okay maybe you don't. There is a song from Looking Glass called Brandy. It's a pretty cool, old song. My sociology teacher in high school sung that song to me every day. And to this day, Jeremy McKenna sings that song to me whenever he sees me. But, nope. I wasn't named after that, sorry. "Oh wait, the singer Brandy?" Yes, believe it or not, I've gotten that question. Okay fact: the singer Brandy is younger than me.


Okay, are you ready for the true story? My father, being the lover of alcohol that he is, was actually drinking Blackberry Brandy when I was born.



Yep, I was named after this. I swear it's true. Now, I don't know how true this is, but the rumor mill is that I was supposed to be Christina Marie but....I got Brandy Lynn (note: Lynn didn't come until 7 months after I was born). Hee haw, that's a good ol' Indiana name if I do say so myself.


If you go to www.behindthename.com and type in my name it simply says this, "Simply means 'brandy' from the English word for the alcoholic drink. It is ultimately from Dutch brandewijn "distilled wine". That's it. No fancy meaning there.


People laugh at my story, but I guarantee you they will remember my name. :) I always joke and say I'm thankful my dad was only drinking Brandy. I mean if he was drinking Jack Daniels, I could be stuck with the name Jackie Danielle. And that my dear friends, would be NO BUENO!


On that note, I shall leave you with this quote: "Brandy, you're a fine girl, what a good wife you'll be..." ~Lyrics from Looking Glass' song, Brandy

No comments: