Monday, December 28, 2009

Saying goodbye to another year

Well, here we are. Another year is about to leave us. 2009 will soon be history and just like that 2010 will be upon us. At the beginning of every year I like to look back at my previous post and ponder about the year. My post welcoming 2009 can be found here. 2008 was a bad, bad year for me. But looking back at that post, I realized how much things changed and I grew. So, to sum up 2009, I am posting in my favorite form of bullet points, with some pictures.


  • My 2008 post had a dark under theme. Although I didn't discuss it in that post, I was really struggling with depression and it wasn't until October of 2008 that I decided to seek professional help. I welcomed 2009 by making my first counseling appointment to discuss why I was feeling the way I was and why I was pondering taking my life. I was in counseling for 6 months, I went faithfully every 2 weeks until one day in June, my counselor said I didn't need to see him anymore. I wish I could say that I was cured, but I'm not. I just understand how to cope with what's going on.

  • To Write Love Her Arms is a organization I support fully and it has a whole new meaning to me in the past year. I participated in my first TWLOHA arms day this year. That ink on my arm opened up the door for people to ask about the organization and for me to remember where I was a year previously.
  • 2009 brought the death of my mother, Pam. Her death was hard on me, and I'm not sure why. Some people said it was because our relationship was strained. That's probably true. But either way, I'm still affected by her passing.

  • Every year, I follow a Bible plan and read through the entire Bible. This year was no exception. This is the 3rd year in a row that I have followed the plan and read the Bible. It's really a great thing to do every year. I usually follow the One Year Bible plan, but this year, me some gals are going to do it a little differently. We are going to do the One Year plan, but to read it chronologically. I'm excited about this journey, every time I read the Bible, I learn something new. Here is the link for the two plans, http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/

  • I think 2009 was the year of the poopie pants. I can't even begin to tell how many poopie pants I have changed with my 3 year olds at church. I've become an expert and I can do it quick!

  • I went to my very first midnight premiere of a movie. I skipped my college class one night (gasp) and waited in line 10 hours to see New Moon. Was the movie worth a midnight showing? Meh, it was good, but I am way too old to be around all those teeny-boppers. I started off the year as Team Edward...but I'm leaning towards Team Jacob. If you see the movie, you will understand why.

  • I choose my happiness in life over suffering from a so-called friendship and walked away from a relationship that I swore I would never walk away from. It's been the most difficult thing I've had to do, but my life is so much better for it. I made the right decision.

  • I said goodbye to Mesa and welcomed myself to Gilbert by moving in with one of my best friends. I moved in just in time, because shortly after, Kristine's life would change forever by a horrific attack from a dog. And although what happened to her was bad, it was something that brought us closer.

  • I paid off my credit card debt and officially do not have any credit cards.

  • I celebrated my 32nd birthday in February by getting my first tattoo.

  • I celebrated 7 years of walking with Christ in November and decided to buy myself another tattoo. This makes #2 in one year. It's "Only God" in Spanish, with Matthew 22:37 as the scripture. I love both of my tattoos, they tell so much about who I am.


  • My best friend of 25+ years came to see me in February. It was only for the weekend, but we laughed so much! It was the kind of therapy my soul needed.


  • Second time is a charm and by golly I passed my Anatomy and Physiology class with flying colors. I am two classes away from applying for the nursing program. I can't believe it.

  • AHCCCS laid off 85 people in May, I was spared and still have my job. Thank God!


Well, I am sure that there is tons more, but that is what sticks out in my mind from 2009. Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: