Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday

Every year, I consider it a blessing that my paycheck doesn't fall on the day after Thanksgiving. I can say that I have never shopped on Black Friday. *Gasp* I know, crazy, huh? I think working in retail for many years scarred me from ever going out on that day. Besides, after reading this story, it makes extremely thankful I chose not to go out today. Dude! That's pure craziness!

My Thanksgiving was actually uneventful this year, which is the first in a long time. I went to my family's house, I usually only go for an hour. It's really about all I can handle. I feel so out of place with them sometimes, I feel like I don't belong when I'm around my family. I don't have the strength to even attempt to fit in either. After that, I headed to my surrogate family's house, the Dewey's. I just love them and it's with them that I feel like I belong. I stayed over there until late, it was great spending Thanksgiving with them. My heart is always filled with joy when I'm with them.

Last night as we all sat in the living room watching the Cardinals game, I found my mind wandering. I began to really think about the things in my life that I'm so, so, thankful for. I take a lot of it for granted. I really try not to, but it's easy to get caught up in the world and difficult to take myself back out of it. I'm thankful for my life, thankful for the good and bad that comes at me. Thankful for the mind He's given me to sort things through, thankful for my close friends who keep me grounded and don't pass judgement. Thankful for the laughter that has graced my lips as well as the tears that has drenched my pillow...especially recently. Knowing that through it all, God is holding this hand of mine. I could go on and on about how thankful I am, I really could. I don't thank my friends enough for the unconditional love they give me even when I screw up. I don't thank God enough for this life I live. I don't thank Him enough for sending His son to sacrifice my very life. Because in all honesty, I wouldn't be where I am today with the grace of God covering my sins fully & completely.

Quote of the day: "God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say 'Thank you'?" ~William A. Ward

Scripture of the day: "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." ~Colossians 3:17

1 comment:

Romi said...

Hey Brandy! : )
Belated Thanksgiving wishes to you!! My family and I so appreciate you and the beauty, truth, and insight of the words you willingly share here.

Sorry to be out of touch. I'd taken a bit of a blog hiatus...when my thoughts get so scattered, when I'm stressed and stretched in what seems like a million diff. directions, and when my mind is stuck in overdrive, that's my warning light I've drifted into "my will" territory, and that's when I truly need to refocus and get quiet and still with God. It's one thing to know what you need to do and it's another thing when you actually do do it! Praises for those times with God...it just makes life right again! : )

Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Brandy & hope to see you at 3F!