Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Happy Left-Hander Day

Happy International


Lefthanded Day!



Yep, yep another holiday to celebrate. Today, August 13th, marks the day that Southpaws get to celebrate their uniqueness.



Lefthanded.jpg Left hand. image by Karenann_2006


When I first started college, I had to write a paper in English class about something I struggled with. The paper could be about anything. Now, there are plenty of topics to write about: politics, religion, finances, etc. But I decided to be different and really started thinking about what I struggled with. I decided to write about me being a lefty in a right handed world. I totally got an "A" on the paper. The professor said she never had anyone write about being lefthanded, but she enjoyed it. I do enjoy being a southpaw, don't get me wrong. But, I've learned to adjust to the world I live in. I think I am the only lefty in my family.



Here's an example showing how your lefthanded brain can even create things that don't exist. If you can see the white triangle - the one with its apex pointing up - it's because your lefthanded brain has created that triangle to unify what is otherwise simply a collection of angles and PacMan shapes. There is, in fact, no white triangle there. So, what did you see? I totally saw the white triangle first.


Here are some facts about being a lefty for you to enjoy.


There are at least 20 million people in the United States that are left handed and 500 million lefthanded on the planet.


The three candidates who ran in the 1992 U.S. presidential election, George Bush, Bill Clinton, and Ross Perot were all lefthanded.


More men are left handed than women.


Twins have a high percentage of lefthandedness.


Some famous lefties are: Leonardo da Vinci, Pablo Picasso, Mark Twain, Matt Groening, Marlon Brando, Jim Carrey, Tom Cruise, Judy Garland, Whoopie Goldberg, Goldie Hawn, Angelina Jolie, Oprah Winfrey, Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Kurt Cobain, Paul McCartney, Babe Ruth, Larry, Bird, and the list could go on.


I could go on an on about being lefthanded, but I will spare you. So, are you a southpaw? If so, let me know, and Happy International Left-Hander's Day to you!


And a joke to top it off, my favorite joke in regards to being lefthanded:


Little Bobby was spending the weekend with his grandmother after a particularly trying week in kindergarten. His grandmother decided to take him to the park on Saturday morning. It had been snowing all night and everything was beautiful. His grandmother remarked...
"doesn't it look like an artist painted this scenery? Did you know God painted this just for you?"


Bobby said, "Yes, God did it and he did it left handed."
This confused his grandmother a bit, and she asked him,
"What makes you say God did this with his left hand?".


"Well," said Bobby, "we learned at Sunday School last week that Jesus sits on God's right hand!"


Links for reference:


www.thesouthpawconnection.com


www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk

No comments: