Friday, April 11, 2008

April is...

Sexual Assault Awareness month. Yesterday, I read a blog that was featured on the front page of Xanga. This brave woman retold her story of being raped, not once, but twice while she was in college, one was from someone she trusted. I don't know why, but I was really thinking about this yesterday. I thought she was brave for sharing this story to the world and hoped it would give encouragement to another victim to let them know that not all men are like that. The lady who posted the blog is now happily married. And although this has never happened to me, I know two women in my life that this has happened to. When one told me, I just sat there stunned, not able to say anything. I can't begin to imagine how I would cope with something like that and the two women in my life have managed to come through it. I know it was only with God's help and their closest family and friends. Here are some stats for you to think about, they are very chilling. Stats were taken from http://www.rainn.org/statistics/. Remember no means no, no matter what the situation.

  • 1 in 6 women will be sexually assaulted in her lifetime.
  • College age women are 4 times for likely to be sexually assaulted.
  • In 2006, 272,350 people were victims of sexual assault.
  • Every 2 minutes someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.
  • 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police.
  • Approximately 73% of rape victims know their assailants.

So, on to a lighter note. Tomorrow, I have two doctors appointments. One with the general physician for a general checkup and I need to talk to them about some stuff. The other is my foot doctor, it's time for cortisone in my foot again. I'm going to need to get an xray of the other foot as the foot doc doesn't know I have another heel spur and to possibly talk to him about surgery on one foot. Oh the joys of getting older. I hate it.

I am housesitting starting today, effective until the 19th. I didn't plan on this job, it was a last minute call. They live in Paradise Valley. Oh boy, that's a drive from my house. Two dogs, one is hyper and gets into everything. I need to make a mental note that he does that. I don't want to come home and find him sick because he's eaten something. Oh my adventures in pet-sitting shall continue. I don't do it as much as I used to due to time, but I do take some jobs. I just reordered business cards. I got 250 of them for $6.00 total. Yep, that's a lot of business cards, but I wouldn't of paid any more for them. My roomie is heading to Cali today for a few days. I'm so jealous, I want to go with her. She's going to Fullerton, where my niece lives. I am in need of a baby fix. My niece is graduating in June in Washington. I'm thinking about going, not sure if I can swing it financially, but will attempt.

A few prayer requests:

  • Please pray for my friend Kristine, she works for a high school here in the valley that has been having some ventatilation problems. She's been sick since she worked there. The doctors found a spot on her lungs, but think it's a benign tumor. Benign is good, but it's still a tumor either way.
  • My niece, Rosie, is quite sick. I spoke to her yesterday. She can't take anything due to nursing the baby, and even if she could, she wouldn't take anything. Pray she recovers quickly.
  • And for Christi, she is pregnant. The baby is doing good, but she has back problems and might soon be on bed rest. She is also struggling with a bladder infection right now as well. She is also struggling with other health problems as well.

That is all I have for now. Have a great day!

Bran

Quote of the day: "It's funny how dogs and cats know the inside of folks better than other folks do, isn't it?" ~Eleanor H. Porter

No comments: