Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A few things I've seen lately

Good morning everyone! Yes, I said good morning. It's the wee hours of 5 a.m. here. I have the luxury of working from home a few days a week and we can start anytime we want to. So, I wrote this really long blog yesterday, it was really good, but Xanga screwed up and silly me, I didn't copy it before pressing submit, so I lost it. Oh I was so angry. So here is the post again, typed quickly as I need to be working.


On Thursday night, we had a guest speaker come to our church and speak. His name is Nick Vujicic and his ministry is www.lifewithoutlimbs.org. He travels around from various places speaking about how despite your circumstances (His being the fact that he has no arms and no legs), God can still use you for His glory. Our Worship Center was packed beyond capacity. They opened up the Chapel and even had to put chairs in the lobby. It looked like Easter on Thursday night. It was so awesome. He did an invitation for people to come down and either commit for the first time or recommit to Christ. I had volunteered to pray with people when they came down, and as I stood to the side, tears came down my eyes, as I watched people just keep coming and coming. It was estimated that 300+ people came down that night, most of them high schoolers. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. Definitely check out his website, and if he ever comes to your town, don't pass up the opportunity to see him speak. He is on fire for Jesus and will inspire you!


A few nights ago, I was flipping around watching news programs. ABC Primetime had something that not only caught my eye, but scared me as well. There is a man from Texas who is claiming to be the second coming of Christ as well as the Antichrist. This man is actually claiming to be Jesus in living form. Huh? Jesus? He has millions of followers, people who for sure in their heart believe he is Jesus. However, on his body, he had tattooed the mark of Satan, "666". They showed people grinning as they got these tattoos saying things like, "This is to show that I belong to Jesus." Wait, wait, wait. Now, I wear a cross on my neck every day that shows I belong to Jesus. He tells his followers that it's okay to keep sinning because he had previously died on the cross to take care of all that. His motto is "Once saved, always saved." I was so intrigued by this show, because I couldn't believe people are so blinded to the truth. But yet completely scared because this person is NOT glorifying Christ in any way. I began to think of all the people seeking truth and they encounter him or his people. They would get the wrong idea as to how us, as Christians, are, or even worse, they will get the wrong idea about who Jesus is! Here are a few articles on him, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Luis_de_Jesus_Miranda, http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=2925021. They are quite interesting.


This man above is what I refer to as a "Scary Christian." You know a person who claims to know God, but their actions do not portray Christ in any way. Or the way they present Jesus is just, well scary. Other examples of "Scary Christians" are Benny Hinn and the big, pink-haired lady on TBN. Saturday night as I was driving home, I stopped at a major intersection. I heard some people singing. I rolled down the window and heard them singing praise songs and clapping. I thought that was pretty cool and an interesting way to get Jesus out on the streets. But then, oh then, a scary person appeared. She began screaming (literally) into a microphone about how Jesus died for your sins. The way she was doing it frightened me, if I was not a believer, that woman would of scared me to the point that I wouldn't want to find out who this Jesus was. My thinking was if she was scary, how would Jesus be?


Okay, a few things happening with me this week. I got my car back, he's as good as new. I'm still having issues with car insurance people, but hopefully it will all get worked out. I started school last week. I have two awesome professors. They both love their jobs and their lives. It definitely shows in their teachings. Lots of reading in Psychology though. Oh well.


Have a great day! And try to be a loving Christian, not a scary one.

No comments: